How much does Load Balancing cost?
Cloudflare Load Balancing subscriptions begin at $5 - $50 per month, depending on your selected subscription options. Note that Load Balancing pricing applies to the Cloudflare account, and not to a specific domain.
You can configure Load Balancing to fit your specific requirements based on the number of origins, health check frequency, the number of regions checked from, and geo-routing. The $5 subscription allows you to configure 2 origins, 60 second health checks, and checks from one (1) region: ideal for straightforward load balancing or failover.
In addition to the monthly subscription, we will count the number of DNS requests ("queries") for each configured Load Balancer, per month. The first 500,000 queries, shared across all Load Balancers in your account, are free: additional usage beyond this is charged at 50 cents per 500,000 queries, rounded up to the next 500k queries.
- 81,451 DNS queries = subscription + $0 in usage.
- 511,881 DNS queries = subscription + $0.50 in usage
- 2,994,155 DNS queries = subscription + $2.50 in usage
Note that the first 500,000 queries are based on all active Load Balancers in your account, not per site (domain), as Load Balancers can be shared across sites by configuring a CNAME record.
What counts as 'usage' for Load Balancing?
Usage is counted as authoritative DNS queries against Cloudflare's name servers for each of the Load Balanced hostnames you have configured.
You can reduce the number of authoritative DNS queries by configuring your Load Balancer as "proxied" (orange cloud) for your HTTP(S) services, which will set the external DNS TTL to 5 minutes, maintain failover performance equivalent with very short DNS TTLs. Read more about the benefits of proxied (orange cloud) vs. unproxied (grey cloud).
I have an Enterprise account. How am I billed?
Enterprise customers are billed based on discussions with the Cloudflare Enterprise Sales team. Enterprise customers also have access to additional features, including:
- Running health checks from every Cloudflare datacenter (for increased failover granularity)
- Per-data center steering (override the origins a specific location should use, and in which order)
- Five-second health check intervals
- Support for more than six (6) origin servers (10's to 100's)
- Cloudflare Enterprise Support (including 24x7 email, phone, and a named Solutions Engineer)