With Custom Nameservers, a domain can use Cloudflare DNS without using the host names of Cloudflare-assigned Nameservers.
Cloudflare domains on Business or Enterprise plans can set Custom Nameservers at Cloudflare.
It is possible for Cloudflare domains to use the Custom Nameservers configured for a different domain. However, those domains require an Enterprise plan and a request must be sent to Cloudflare Support detailing which Custom Nameservers to apply.
Configure Custom Nameservers
Steps to add Custom Nameservers:
- Log into the Cloudflare dashboard.
- Ensure the website you want to update is selected.
- Click the DNS app.
- Scroll down to Custom Nameservers.
- Click Add Custom Nameservers and enter nameserver hostnames. (e.g. ns1, ns2, ns3).
- Cloudflare will assign IPv4 and IPv6 to your nameservers.
- Add the Custom Nameservers and IP addresses to your domain registrar’s DNS as glue (A or AAAA) records.
- Update the nameservers at your registrar to point to the Custom Nameservers.