Learn how to transfer an active Cloudflare domain to another Cloudflare account.
Moving or transferring domains from one Cloudflare account to another is required if:
- you are managing a multi-user organization and need to segment domain access by user,
- you receive a "Cloudflare is already hosting under a different account" error, or
- you lose access to your email address or Cloudflare account.
However, if you have two-factor authentication (2FA) enabled and access to backup codes, those codes can be used to access your Cloudflare account.
To successfully transfer a domain from one Cloudflare account to another you will need access to:
- your domain registrar, and
- at least one of the Cloudflare accounts associated with the domain.
Transfer your domain
If you lose access to the email address associated with your Cloudflare account and do not have backup codes, you will need to manually transfer your domain to a new Cloudflare account.
For example, if you register the domain, myzone.com using [email protected] and lose access to that email account, you will need to create a new Cloudflare account using a new email address, [email protected], and add myzone.com to the new account.
The domain transfer process depends on your DNS settings. If Cloudflare is currently your authoritative DNS provider, i.e., your domain nameservers point to Cloudflare, you must:
- Create a new Cloudflare account or log in to an existing Cloudflare account that you want to transfer too
- Add the domain to the account (as if you were adding it for the first time)
- Log in to your domain registrar account and update the nameservers to the newly provided Cloudflare nameservers.
If you still have access to your previous Cloudflare account, you can copy over the Cloudflare account settings manually. Reissuing SSL/TLS certificates is required as well as recreating and validating DNS records when transfering domains between Cloudflare accounts
Once the nameserver change has been recognized by the Cloudflare network, the previous zone will be marked as Status: Moved Away and the domain status in the new account will change to Status: Active. After 7 days in the Moved state, the zone will change to Deleted. And finally, if a zone remains in the Deleted state for 7 days, it will be permantely removed from your account.