Table of contents
This article covers the necessary steps to update your domain's nameservers in order to successfully complete the Cloudflare onboarding process for your domain.
In order to route your web traffic through the Cloudflare network you need to change your original nameservers to the Cloudflare nameservers.
The steps required to update your nameservers are:
- Log in to Cloudflare and make note of your nameservers.
- Not sure where to find your nameservers values?
You can find the Cloudflare name servers for your domain in your Cloudflare dashboard under Overview.
Important! the nameserver values in the image below may not reflect the specific values needed for your account.
- Not sure who your domain registrar is?
Domain registrar information is publicly available online through the WHOIS database. You can easily determine your domain’s registrar by searching a website like whois.net.
- Not sure how to update your nameservers?
Each domain registrar is slightly different. We recommend that you contact your registrar's support center for the most accurate information. Alternatively, you may find instructions for your registrar listed at the end of this article.
- It may take up to 72 hours for the name server information to propagate.
- Status: Active indicates your domain is properly setup to run through Cloudflare. You're done!
- Status: Pending indicates that your nameserver updates have either not propagated or were not updated correctly.
The first step you can take it to simply click on Recheck Nameservers to force Cloudflare to recheck your settings.
If the issue persists, use whois.net to check your nameserver records and make sure they match the Cloudflare provided records.
Below is a list of links to popular registrar knowledge base articles to help you change your nameservers accordingly, contact your registrar if you have any questions:
- Google Domains
- Fast Domain
- Network Solutions
- Step 1: How does Cloudflare work?
- Step 2: Create a Cloudflare account and add a website
- Step 4: Recommended first steps for all Cloudflare users