Learn how Image Resizing modifies images once they are retrieved from your origin server and cached in the Cloudflare edge network.
Cloudflare Image Resizing allows several on-demand adjustments to images:
- adjusting quality, and
- converting images to WebP format.
Image resizing behaves as a proxy on top of the Cloudflare edge cache to apply the adjustments that you specify. Delivering images this way to your end-users helps you save bandwidth costs and improve performance since Cloudflare allows you to optimize images already cached at the edge.
There are two ways of using image resizing:
- Specifying image dimension, quality, and format via the default URL format
Before you can use Image Resizing, you first have to enable it in the Cloudflare dashboard. Refer to our developer documentation to learn how to enable Image Resizing.
There are a few limitations to Cloudflare Image Resizing:
- Resizes and generates only JPEG, PNG, or WebP images
- It can save animations as GIF or animated WebP
- Supports ICC color profiles in JPEG and PNG images
- Preserves EXIF metadata in JPEG images only if the JPEG doesn’t use EXIF rotation
- Converts the first frame of GIF animations to a still image
- Discards WebP image metadata
- Doesn’t apply Cloudflare’s Polish feature to resized images
Image resizing is priced based on the number of uncached requests to the image proxy per month. For example, if a page with Image Resizing enabled contains three images, when a user visits the page, you will only be billed for Image Resizing for uncached requests.
The monthly pricing for Business and Enterprise customers is outlined below.
Business customers get 100K requests per month for free. Each additional set of 100,000 uncached requests cost USD $10 per month.
Enterprise customers get 10M requests per month for free. For more information about pricing for additional images, reach out to your Customer Success Manager.